24 February 2015.
The Government has approved a range of support measures for farmers following a decision to declare a medium level drought under the Ministry for Primary Industries' Primary Sector Recovery Policy. This includes Rural Assistance Payments available through Work and Income.
Work and Income support
- Rural Assistance Payments to assist farming families in parts of the South Island with essential living costs.
- Standard Work and Income financial assistance.
Rural Assistance Payments
The Rural Assistance Payment scheme has been activated in the following areas:
- Marlborough (Marlborough and Kaikoura District Councils)
- Canterbury (Hurunui, Waimakariri, Selwyn, Ashburton, Mackenzie, Timaru, and Waimate District Councils, Christchurch City Council)
- Otago (Waitaki and Central Otago District Councils, Dunedin City Council).
For more information about these payments, talk to the Rural Support Trust on 0800 787 254.
What standard assistance may be available?
If you qualify for assistance, we can provide a range of standard financial assistance which may include:
Quickly find out the types of benefits that you might get by answering a few questions:
Other Assistance measures available are: