2015 OSCAR funding review
In 2013 the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) worked with the OSCAR sector to make changes to the OSCAR funding model to improve the efficiency, consistency and targeting of the funding model. MSD committed to review the updated funding model once it had been in use for at least 2 years to ensure it was still fit for purpose. That review is now complete.
The review found that the 2013 changes have had a mainly positive impact, however there is still room for improvement as demand has continued to outstrip available funds. To ensure that providers continue to be supported with funding, the 2013 funding model has been adjusted. These adjustments include 2 new payments to help providers facing specific circumstances.
The key adjustments are:
- OSCAR funding will be calculated on actual average daily attendance, rather than enrolled/booked numbers of children.
- A cap will be introduced that limits the amount of funding to 100 children (maximum payment $30,250 a year), per programme.
- Top up grants will continue for venues operating from isolated and low socio-economic areas. Grants will still be paid at a maximum of $3000 a venue a year.
- Top up grants are being extended to include venues which have variable numbers due to seasonal work as well as those that require a temporary change of accommodation, because they have been impacted by a civil defence emergency such as earthquake and flood.
- Top up grants will be limited to 550 grants a year.
- Contracts grant funding will be split with 80% being paid at the start of the funding year. The remaining 20% will be paid when final reports and invoices are received at the end of the funding year.
- Proactive checks are being introduced meaning 10% of grant applications a year will be identified at random and providers will required to provide evidence of their attendance numbers.
- Childcare Co-ordinators will be reviewing every contracted provider’s subsidy payments, to ensure that eligible parents/caregivers are aware of and have applied for a subsidy if they wish to access this payment.
- All programmes must be registered on the Family Services Directory