$3k to Christchurch
The $3K to Christchurch initiative is aimed at connecting clients nationwide to jobs in the Christchurch area.
The Christchurch area refers to the areas covered by the Ashburton, Hurunui, Selwyn, and Waimakariri District Councils and the Christchurch City Council.
Who can get it
Up to 1,000 Work and Income clients (or people who have applied and are eligible for a work-tested benefit) may be able to get a one-off incentive payment of $3,000 to relocate to the Christchurch area to take up full-time work.
The payment is available to clients who have a confirmed full-time job offer in the Christchurch area, and who are ready and willing to move there.
The job needs to be for at least 30 hours a week and be for longer than 91 days.
The payment is non-recoverable. It doesn't need to be repaid unless the person who received it:
- leaves their job within the first three months without good and sufficient reason, and
- reapplies for a benefit within the first three months.
Other financial support is still available (within existing eligibility criteria) to clients that receive the $3,000 incentive, such as Job Streams and Transition to Work grants (except for relocation costs).
We are actively promoting the initiative and raising awareness of the job opportunities in the Christchurch area.
How to apply
You can look for suitable, full-time jobs in the Christchurch area. (Full-time jobs listed by Work and Income may qualify for the payment as well as jobs advertised directly by Christchurch employers or agencies.) Talk with your case manager if you would like help searching for work.
Once you have a confirmed, full-time job offer, you can:
- Complete the application form below or you can call us on 0800 559 009 and we can send you one. You can also collect one from any of our service centres.
- Call Work and Income on 0800 559 009 to arrange an appointment or talk with your case manager at your next appointment if you need help with the form.
- When you come to your appointment to apply for the grant, please bring a copy of your confirmed job offer including the start date for the role, the number of hours and the duration of the contract to assist in the processing of your application.
Watch the video
Loading the video player...