Going to Canada, Denmark, Greece, Republic of Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey, or the Netherlands
What happens to your benefit when you leave the country and go to Canada, Denmark, Greece, Republic of Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey, or the Netherlands.
Tell us you're leaving the country before you go.
What you may get
- You may be able to take your benefits or payments with you.
- Your payments are calculated from the basic New Zealand rate of payment and depend on whether you are single or living with a partner.
- If you have a partner, they can be ‘included’ in your payments.
- Other conditions may apply, so please ask us before you leave.
- If you’re moving to Canada, Denmark, the Republic of Ireland or the Netherlands, you can apply here or from overseas.
- If you are moving to Greece, Jersey or Guernsey and you are intending to apply for payment of Invalid’s Benefit, you must do this before you leave New Zealand.
What you get here (current categories) What you get here (new categories) What you might get there... Invalid’s Benefit, Widow’s Benefit or Domestic Purposes Benefit (widowers only) Supported Living Payment (health condition, injury, disability or totally blind) or Sole Parent Support (widows and widowers only) Depends on how long you have lived in New Zealand since age 20
How to apply
If you are applying in New Zealand please call us to arrange a meeting with us at least six weeks before you leave New Zealand.
- You (and your partner) will need to bring to that meeting your passport(s), another form of ID each and your travel itinerary or tickets. You’ll also need to complete an application to take your payments overseas.
- It is best to apply before you leave New Zealand, but you can go to the local office of the overseas social services organisation to complete a New Zealand application.
Income Security Programs
Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
Calling from Canada: 1800 454 8371
Calling from outside Canada: +16 13957 1954
Employment and Social Development Canada
International Pension and Social Security
+45 3395 5001
Social Security Institute (IKA)
International Relations Division
Section of Bilateral Agreements
Agio Constantinou 8
GR 102 70
Agricultural Insurance Organisation (OGA)
GR 101 41
Guernsey Social Security Authority
Edward T Wheadon House
St. Peter Port
Channel Islands GY1 3WH
+44 1481 732 500
Jersey Employment and Social Security Department
PO Box 55
Philip le Feurve House
La Motte Street
Channel Islands JE4 8PE
+44 1534 280 000
Republic of Ireland
Pension Services Office
Department of Social, Community and
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
+353 1 704 3000
Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB)
6500 JN Nijmegen
+31 24 343 1010