Domestic Purposes Benefit - Women Alone
Domestic Purposes Benefit – Women Alone is a weekly payment which helps women over 50 who have lost the support of their partner or finished caring for a child or sick relative.
Who can get it
You may get this type of Domestic Purposes Benefit if you are 50 years old or over and, after turning 50, you have:
- lost the support of your partner or
- finished caring for your child or a sick relative.
You can only get it if you have no partner or dependent children.
You must also:
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- have lived in New Zealand for at least two years at any one time since becoming a New Zealand citizen or resident (unless you are a refugee).
You should also normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here.
For more detail about who can get it see:
This information is a guide only.
You may be required to complete ‘pre-benefit activities’ before receiving a benefit, see:
You'll be expected to actively seek full-time work of at least 30 hours per week and accept any suitable job.
Where it's appropriate for your circumstances you need to be able to show us that you are actively seeking suitable work or your benefit may be reduced or stopped. See:
If you're receiving a benefit from us, or thinking about applying, there are going to be some changes to your obligations over the next year. Make sure you know what's changing and how it will affect you.
How much you can get
This depends on your current circumstances.
When may your payment start
Depending on your situation, you may have to wait before you get your first payment. In most circumstances, you will usually get your first payment within 2-3 weeks after you apply, or from the date your training course starts. You may have to wait longer if you have recently been in work, and:
- left your job without a good reason
- lost your job because of misconduct
- got holiday pay or another payment at the end of your job
- are getting sick pay from your employer.
For more information
If you'd like more information read:
For more detail go to our:
Are you eligible?
Find out if you might get this benefit, what other financial assistance may be available to you, and what pre-benefit activities you may have.