Domestic Purposes Benefit - Care of Sick or Infirm
Domestic Purposes Benefit - Care of Sick or Infirm is a weekly payment which helps people who are caring for someone at home who needs full-time care.
Who can get it
You may get the Domestic Purposes Benefit - Care of Sick or Infirm if you are caring for someone at home and this person:
- needs full-time care
- is not your spouse or partner
- would otherwise need hospital care, rest home care, residential disability care, extended care services for severely disabled children and young people, or care of a similar kind.
If you're a parent who needs to provide full-time care and attention at home for your high needs dependant child you may be able to get this benefit.
You may be able to get the Domestic Purposes Benefit for caregivers, if you are:
- aged 18 years or over and have no dependent children or
- aged 19 years or over and have children you support
- caring full-time for someone (but not your spouse or partner) who would otherwise require hospital care, rest home care, extended care provided for severely disabled children and young people, or care of a similar kind.
The information provided in this page is a guide only. Contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.
Retrospective (backdated) payments
If you have been caring for a dependant child, and any previous application for financial assistance was declined, you can apply for a retrospective (backdated) Domestic Purposes Benefit - Care of Sick or Infirm.
For more information about getting this benefit retrospectively, read our factsheet or contact us.
How much you can get
This depends on your circumstances.
When may your payment start
Depending on your situation, you may have to wait before you get your first payment. In most circumstances, you will usually get your first payment within 2-3 weeks after you apply, or from the date your training course starts. You may have to wait longer if you have recently been in work, and:
- got holiday pay or another payment at the end of your job
- are getting sick pay from your employer.
For more information
If you'd like more information read:
For more detail go to our:
Are you eligible?
Find out if you might get this benefit, and what other financial assistance may be available to you.
How to apply
Complete your application form for financial assistance online.
We can grant you the financial assistance you’re entitled to from the date you first contact us if you complete your application within 20 working days of that date.
Contact us for more information
If you want to apply for retrospective payments, fill out the Carer Statement (stage 1 in the assessment process for retrospective applications).