New Zealand Superannuation overview
If you're aged 65 years or older you may be able to get New Zealand Superannuation payments and a SuperGold Card.
Who can get it
You may be able to get New Zealand Superannuation if you:
- are aged 65 or over
- are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- normally live in New Zealand at the time you apply.
You must also have lived in New Zealand for at least 10 years since you turned 20. Five of those years must be since you turned 50.
However, people may qualify for New Zealand Superannuation with less than 10 years residence if they have migrated to New Zealand from countries with which New Zealand has a social security agreement.
This information is a guide only. Contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.
We'll automatically send you a SuperGold Card when your New Zealand Superannuation is granted.
The SuperGold Card is a free discounts and concessions card.
For more detail go to our:
How much you can get
How much you get depends on your current circumstances, such as:
- whether you are single, married or in a relationship
- your living situation if you are single (eg live alone, live with dependent children, share accommodation with others)
- whether your partner is included in your New Zealand Superannuation payments or not
- any overseas benefit or pension you may get.
Payments from accident insurance or Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) may affect your pension. If you get these payments you'll need to talk to us.
Payment of New Zealand Superannuation is made directly to your bank account every two weeks.
Including your partner in your payments
If you have a partner we need to ask you about them as this affects the amount you're paid, even if you're not including them in your payments.
New Zealand Superannuation is not income tested. We'll only ask about you and your partner's income if:
- you want to include your partner in your payments and they don't qualify for New Zealand Superannuation in their own right
- you apply for other assistance as part of your application for New Zealand Superannuation.
If you include your partner, any other income either of you earn could affect how much you get.
We can help you work out whether it is to your financial advantage to include your partner or not.
If your partner is included in your payments, you can earn up to $100 (before tax) a week between you, before your New Zealand Superannuation is affected. If you earn more than $100 (before tax) a week your payments are reduced by 70 cents for every dollar of income over $100 (before tax).
Have you served with the New Zealand Armed Forces?
You may be entitled to special benefits or pensions
If you'd like more information read:
For more detail go to our: