18 February 2016.
The Government has approved a range of support measures for farmers following a decision to declare a medium level drought under the Ministry for Primary Industries' Primary Sector Recovery Policy. This includes Rural Assistance Payments available through Work and Income.
Work and Income support
- Rural Assistance Payments to assist farming families in parts of the South Island with essential living costs.
- Standard Work and Income financial assistance.
The Rural Assistance Payment scheme has been activated in the following areas:
- Marlborough (Marlborough and Kaikoura District Councils)
- Canterbury (Hurunui, Waimakariri, Selwyn, Ashburton, Mackenzie, Timaru, and Waimate District Councils, Christchurch City Council)
- Otago (Waitaki and Central Otago District Councils, Dunedin City Council).
For more information about these payments, talk to the Rural Support Trust on 0800 787 254